General Information

Information is based on prices as of 1 July 2014

There are three possible fees and charges that can be levied in Residential Aged Care for residents who are entering Residential Aged Care after 1 July 2014.

Those residents who entered Aged Care prior to 1 July 2014 may choose to transfer to another facility under their existing financial arrangements or may elect to enter the new under the post 1 July 2014 arrangements.

Those three possible fees and charges are:

  • Basic Fee
  • Accommodation Payment
  • Means Tested Care Fee

1. Basic Daily Care Fee

Both permanent and respite residents can be asked to pay a Basic Fee which is a daily charge. Most residents in Australia will be charged the Standard Basic Fee which is set at 85% of the Basic Centrelink Single Pension.
St Joan of Arc charges all new residents the Standard Rate of Basic Fee until we receive formal notification from the Department of Health.
The Basic fee is increased on 20 March and 20 September each year in line with the indexation increase to the age pension.

2. Accommodation Payment

St Joan of Arc Villa Accommodation payment is set at a maximum of $550,000.

This fee is negotiable depending on your financial situation. Please feel free to discuss this with our Accounts Manager.

No accommodation payment is payable by residents who are assessed by the Department of Health as having less than the current minimum asset level. These residents are designated as fully supported. Until we receive a valid asset assessment from the Department of Health we will charge you the maximum non-supported Daily Accommodation Payment (DAP).

If you are determined by the Department of Health to be partially supported you will pay a Refundable Accommodation Contribution (RAC) or Daily Accommodation Contribution (DAC) which is calculated based on your assets. Until you provide a current Department of Health Asset Assessment we will charge you the published DAP. Once your Daily Accommodation Contribution (DAC) is calculated we will refund any over payment in accommodation payment.

All Non Supported Residents who have assets above the current partially supported cut off level will be required to pay either the Maximum Daily Accommodation Payment (DAP) or a combination of lump sum refundable accommodation deposit (RAD) and the balance of the maximum RAD as an equivalent Daily Payment (DAP).

All Residents have 28 days after being admitted to decide how they will pay their accommodation payment. Those residents who choose to pay a Refundable Accommodation Deposit (RAD) have six months from date of entry to pay but will be required to pay an equivalent Daily Accommodation Payment (DAP) until lump sum amount is paid.

If you choose a combination of Refundable Accommodation Deposit (RAD) and Daily Accommodation Payment (DAP) you may choose to have the DAP deducted from the lump sum being held. In this case we will increase the amount of the DAP on a monthly basis to compensate for the decreasing lump sum RAD being held by The Villa.

3. Means Tested Care Fee

Residents in permanent aged care may be asked by the Department of Health to pay a Means Tested Care Fee, this is in addition to the Basic Daily Fee and any accommodation payment. The amount you pay depends on your income and assets and the level of care you need.

Only residents with total assessment income and assets above the maximum income and assets threshold of a full pensioner may be asked to pay a Means Tested Care Fee.

The maximum level of a residents income tested fee will be based on their total assessable income. The Department of Health determines Means Tested Care Fee amounts based on income information provided by Centrelink or the Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA). The Department then notifies residents, and/or their representatives and their aged care providers of the maximum fee payable.

A resident’s income and assets are usually assessed by Centrelink. However, if a resident is receiving a service pension or an income support supplement from DVA, that agency will assess their income.

The income and assets test uses the same rules as for means tested pensions. Residents who receive a means tested pension, such as an aged pension or service pension, do not have to provide income information because Centrelink or DVA already has this information.

As we do not set the Means Tested Care Fee we are unable to provide you with an estimate of any means tested care fee you may need to pay.

For further information regarding Means Tested Care Fees please call your pensioner provider for an estimate or seek advice from your financial advisor. Please note than Non Pensioners can obtain a quote by contacting Centrelink.


All fees and charges including any Daily Accommodation Payment (DAP) are direct debited from your nominated bank account monthly in advance.

All lump sum Refundable Accommodation Deposits can be paid by cheque, funds transfer or upon request by direct debit. After admission any payments or billing queries can be direction to The Villa office staff.


Please note that a determination by the Department of Health under Section 52K-1 – Financial Hardship may reduce your accommodation payment or accommodation contribution. Information about applying for Financial Hardship can be found by calling the My Aged Care hotline on 1800 200 422.

Transferring Residents

If you entered aged care permanently prior to 1 July 2014 and are transferring to a new residential care service within 28 days of leaving the previous residential care service you have the option of transferring under your existing financial arrangement or entering the new facility under the financial arrangements that were introduced on 1 July 2014. If you transfer more than 28 days after leaving the previous facility you are automatically admitted under the new arrangements. If you wish to enter under the new arrangements you cannot at a later date decide to be covered by your previous financial arrangements.

For further information please refer to the My Aged Care website at www.myagedcare.gov.au or ring the My Aged Care hotline on 1800 200 422.